Saturday 24 September 2011

Killer Elite

The best thing I can say about “Killer Elite” is that it held my interest; this, as you may assume, is something I crave from each and every movie I watch. While viewing “Killer Elite,” I acknowledged that it had the general appearance of a generic, seen-it-all-before action flick and I must admit I ended up a little lost in the story at some points (crammed-in plot twists tend to have that effect). However, a feeling of boredom never registered; then again, I suppose boredom would be difficult to encounter, what with all the ear-shattering gunshots, deafening explosions and overall noisiness thundering out from the loudspeakers.

Yes, “Killer Elite” is another one of those noisy, aggressive, high-octane actioners, and it stars a master of said area of cinema. This is Jason Statham (“The Mechanic”), who’s brought all his natural Cockney geezer charm to the film’s leading role. He’s cool, he’s charismatic, he’s got proper action skills and he’s got a rather attractive stubble going on; what’s not to like about this lovely, lovely man?


He stars as Danny Bryce, a professional assassin and best bud of a fellow assassin aptly named Hunter (Robert De Niro, “Little Fockers”). Danny, deciding to be a cliché, has had enough of killing, and chooses to give up the job to live with his beautiful Australian girlfriend (Yvonne Strahovski, "Chuck"). One year later, Danny gets a envelope in the mail containing a Polaroid picture of Hunter appearing to be a little bit kidnapped.

Danny goes to visit the kidnapper, who it turns out is a dying Omani sheik (Rodney Afif, “Checkpoint”). The sheik wants Danny to kill the three SAS men who murdered three of his four sons. He wants to hear their confessions. He wants the killings to look like accidents. And he wants to know that they are dead before his own predicted death six months from now, otherwise Hunter shall be killed.


So, Danny goes about planning the deaths of these three men. Helping him on his murderous task are Davies (Dominic Purcell, “Prison Break”) and Meier (Aden Young, “The Bet”). As you may foresee with your amazing psychic powers, the plan doesn’t 100% go according to plan, resulting in some fist fights, car chases and accidental (kinda) deaths.

Occasionally, these are the outcomes of Spike (Clive Owen, “Children of Men”)’s involvement in the plot. Spike works for a secret organisation that protects ex-SAS men from people like Danny and the Omani sheik. As such, he’s alerted about Danny’s schemes, and gets to trying to stop the gun-toting scalp-head in his homicidal tracks.


“Killer Elite” is supposedly based on a true story, or at least based on a book that’s supposedly based on a true story. The book is “The Feather Men” by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who claims he was involved in events similar to that of his book. If he is telling the truth and if the movie is a close adaptation of the book, then label me flabbergasted; it turns out real-life can in fact play out like a typical Jason Statham action thriller. If not, well, we can still live in hope.

The film is the first full-length feature from director Gary McKendry; it’s quite an impressive debut, I must say. He’s directed an action film that’s armed with proper action scenes. The action is tense, thrilling and gritty; it almost feels real, recalling the many action sequences from the magnificent “Bourne” trilogy.


The most memorable action set-piece from the film is a scene in which Statham and Owen have a fist-fight in a hospital room. They smack, kick and throttle each other, swinging each other into cabinets and punching each other in the testicles once or twice. It’s exciting, it’s brutal and it’s pulsating with suspense; we genuinely don’t know who’s going to win this fight, as Statham and Owen both gain advantage several times throughout.

It’s a film that’s quite gripping, supported by characters who, when we’re watching them, feel like they’re more than just cardboard cut-outs. Sure, Statham’s just playing the same action-man role he always has and probably always will, but you can’t fault the on-screen charisma oozing out of his performance. Owen’s playing a man who sporadically jumps between good-guy and bad-guy, though he’s always treated as an antagonist to anti-hero Danny. And De Niro actually looks like he gives a hoot for once in his recent career, playing an ageing assassin who’s smart, funny, charming and affectionate; De Niro also gets to say the F word a few times.


Yes, “Killer Elite” is disposable action fluff, but it’s competently crafted disposable action fluff. The action, of which there is plenty, is incredibly well shot, and the three men at the centre of the plot are intriguing enough characters. It’s not quite “Die Hard,” nor is it even “Crank,” but hardcore fans of action and/or Jason Statham are likely to be satisfied.

6/10

1 comment:

  1. I love the design of your blog, its collage of various decades of film is so enticing and welcoming to a film fanatic. I have been in love with film my whole life and created quite a collection myself but more so along my walls and in stand ups of my favorite characters. Han Solo guards my room with his laser, he taught me what it was to have a crush and Legolas guards my special room where all my magic of music is made his beautiful eleven ears. I started a film blog years ago as well but have put a lot more into the discussions and such and certainly do not have the beauty I came across as far as imagery like yours. I also travel a lot so my biggest issue is finding the opportunity to research some of the actor development we like to discuss. I needed to have resources I could use while I was traveling. When talking with a colleague of mine who also works for Dish Network about the October 1st launch of Dish Network’s new package The Blockbuster Movie Pass I was thrilled as this was just another way they are making my life easier and more fun. Welcome live streaming! It seems like they are always coming up with fantastic ideas especially for individuals like me who have to travel frequently for work. Yet, still must maintain a passion that is very important to me that I would usually do at home. The Blockbuster Movie Pass will now be a combination of two of Dish Network’s prestigious packages the Dish Platinum and the Blockbuster by Mail package allowing me to stream thousands of movies with my laptop or my Dish receiver. How fantastic! I also now have access to thousands of DVD movies, TV shows and games by mail with unlimited exchange necessary for the elegant movie blog I have been hosting for years. It remotely streams directly to my laptop for TV if need be expanding my resources by a huge amount. Therefore, I can research the information I need from the film standpoint while looking into the media aspect as well which covers all the research necessary for the blog, $10 a month seems like a small price to pay for so many people’s enlightenment. My boyfriend is thrilled with the amount of video games available in this new package so that also makes me happy. Upon returning home, I can be at peace knowing that I can just write the blog entry to stimulate the new conversation topic, which is always, relaxing for me. It’s amazing how wonderful and inspiring my members find my writing when I return having been influenced by being abroad. Oh and by the way, the picture of "Little Alex" with his infamous penetrating stare is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete